Official 2014 Teens' Top Ten
watch this video!!!
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell (Macmillan/St. Martin's Griffin)
- Splintered by A.G. Howard (ABRAMS/Amulet Books)
- The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson (Tor Teen)
- The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (Penguin/Putnam Juvenile)
- Monument 14: Sky on Fire by Emmy Laybourne (Macmillan/Feiwel & Friends)
- Earth Girl by Janet Edwards (Prometheus Books /Pyr)
- The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
- Steelheart by Brandon S
anderson (Random House/Delacorte Press)
- Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo (Macmillan/Henry Holt Books for Young Readers)
- The Eye of Minds by James Dashner (Random House/Delacorte Press)
"YALSA's Teens' Top Ten", American Library Association, July 7, 2006.
http://www.ala.org/yalsa/teenstopten (Accessed November 8, 2014)
Document ID: 0a5bbb00-37c1-f924-b50d-be2a0837dc52
Words That Encourage!!
Children need to hear these messages: You are loved.
You are secure. You are you. You matter.
You are growing up.
Choose words that encourage children:
Words That Encourage
Knowing you, I'm sure you will do fine.
You can do it if you try.
I have faith in you.
You're doing fine.
I can see you put a lot of effort into that.
You'll figure it out.
That was a good try. Don't worry
about the mistake.
That's a challenge, but I'm sure you'll do fine.
Words That Discourage
Knowing you, I think you should do more.
You usually make mistakes, so be careful.
I doubt that you can do it.
You can do better.
That's a good job, but the corners are ragged.
Better get some help.
If you can't do it right, don't do it at all.
That looks too difficult for you to try.
Help children realize how much
they have learned. "Remember when you
had trouble reading this book?"
If your child is struggling
with long division, say,
"Remember when you couldn't add 6 + 9?"…”
-Compiled by John H. Wherry, Ed.D.,
President, The Parent Institute,
Publisher of Parents Make the Difference
for parents and students
www.famlit.org/ (national center for family literacy) www.nea.org/grants/13026.htm (national education association) www.scholastic.com/parents/ (scholastics for parents) www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templates/Pages/ODE/ODEDetail.aspx (ohio department of education for parents) www.corestandards.org/the-standards/english-language-arts-standards (common core standards) www.reading.org/InformationFor/Parents.aspx (national reading Institution for parents)